2013年3月24日日曜日

being stupid

In Japan, being stupid seems something to be loved or appreciated.

As I was making breakfast this morning, my father started talking about "obaka-kyara" (=stupid TV personalities).  Their talent is probably that they have no talent (and lately, they seem to be on every channel).  I said people liked them because they feel relieved to know there are people who are stupider than them.  "It makes them feel good in a way.  Having no talent is a talent."

My father said that was exactly why he thought the Japanese ministry of education should ban them.  "They deprive the people of their will to progress."

"Well, I don't think they should be banned, but stupidity is only endearing when the person looks good."

"Of course they're good looking.  They need something.  Otherwise they're just wasting public goods - namely radio waves."

I wonder if this appreciation of stupidity (except on the part of my dad) is something unique to Japan...

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿