2013年3月24日日曜日

nothing important

So I was trying to put this seal over my ipad today (they recommended I put it on to keep the screen clean) and my dad sort of tried to help me, but we kind of messed up and ended up getting a lot of dust-like particles on the seal, hence a lot of blisters between the seal and the ipad.  Now I realize this sounds どうでもいい(nothing important).  But we both sort of got upset with the situation.  "It looks like my ipad has chicken pox."

"Can't you just push those air out?"
"I can't!"
"Well, look.  It says you should only peel 5cm first, and then stick the seal little by little.  You peeled too much"
"Yeah, I should've read the directions more carefully... but you were too stubborn about keeping that part in the right place; it doesn't work that way because see? ..."
"I think I should've done it"

I don't care a bit about the chicken pox now, but it seemed like the biggest problem on earth just a couple of hours ago.

And it reminded us both about an incident that occurred 15 years ago: I wanted to put a round sticker on the plastic body of a little measure, and I was wondering how I could stick it right in the middle.  Dad came along saying he would do a great job.  I trusted him with all my heart and handed him the measure and the sticker.  He did it pretty carefully - I still remember.  But when he handed it back to me, the sticker was not in the middle.  It was stuck slightly to the right (or left).  I think I tried to take it off and re-do it but the damage had already been done.

I remembered it as one of the very few incidents my dad disappointed me.  He remembered it from the other side: "You looked at me with very sad eyes - it was a traumatic experience.  That's why I wasn't confident enough today"

It's funny how we remember these kinds of things that aren't important at all.  Well, I guess it's a good example that shows the morbid perfectionism that runs in our blood, but the good part is, it seems like we're both growing up.  Like I've noticed that in many cases, it's just a short period of time that you care so much about a certain thing.  If you can get over that time, you realize it was nothing important.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿