2013年5月4日土曜日

capsules in love

It's a holiday and it was sunny and all I did was read a pathology textbook and watch House and go to the supermarket and do yoga.

House is actually one of the best TV series I've ever seen.  In the last episode of the 1st season, House is asked to treat his ex-girlfriend's husband.  He's not over her, and he finds it difficult to be his usual self - cold, distant, and unemotional.  Somewhere in his head, he even hopes the husband will die.  But in the end, he fulfills his duty as a doctor.  The girlfriend comes to thank him, and admits she's not over him either.  "You're always going to be the one.  But with you, I was lonely.  With Mark, there's room for me."

Five years ago, I thought I would ever understand this kind of complicated feelings, but I was wrong.  It was sort of like when you realize the depth of a song you used to sing when you were a kid without even caring much about the lyrics.

A couple of weeks ago I went to a concert with a friend.  My friend said she wondered why people so often sang about love.  "There's more to life, isn't there?"  True.  We go through our life gathering all kinds of experiences along the way.  Love is just one of them.

But it's actually pretty obvious why we're destined to be love-addicts, or more precisely, attracted to sex, and have even made it an object of art.  (I mean, it's pretty amazing when you think about all the highly regarded smutty classics that have been created all over the world.)

It's all because our bodies and minds are basically just tools to pass on our genes to the next generation. The reason our genes design all these proteins that make our body function the way they do is because they always need a capsule that can create a new capsule where they can live on.  Which, by the way, actually means that our genes take great care of our body to help us live up to the age where we're biologically ready to reproduce, but after we reach that point, our genes start getting lazy -- they don't really care what happens to our body now because they most likely already have a new capsule to live in.

2 件のコメント:

  1. It's like what Paul says in 1 Corinthians -- faith, hope, and love -- the greatest of these is love.

    I think you have an interesting outlook on life. I never thought of myself that way, but I guess I am a love-maniac. I don't mean that in a good way, I think it's one of my worst personality traits. In fact, I don't think of love as a particularly good thing but that's just from a personal perspective. I think it's good for other people.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Hm... faith and hope are important too, but I guess love can be the source of both.

      The capsule thing is not exactly *my* outlook actually (though I might be a bit brainwashed). It's something I read in a medical journal. I forget the title but it was a very famous article.

      I might be rather a romantic in that I actually believe in platonic love. It's sort of like a flower without any fruit, but people do still fall in love and bloom when it's too late for fruits. We might be capsules, but we're not just that.

      I think I get what you mean by being a love-maniac. I'm sure you're not alone. Love is supposed to be addictive and like most drugs, it will have some side effects.

      削除