2013年5月18日土曜日

sweat-drenched

A brief conversation with my mother:

Background info -- she and I used to go to a women-only gym called Curves before I moved.  I quit but she still goes; she's a really earnest Curves believer.  She even went to the one near my place when she visited me, and people watched her in amazement.  They asked her if all Curvies were so serious in Tokyo.  "And those gloves, they look really pro."  If you ask me, she *is* a pro.  She even has her own original hip-swaying step that some people crave to try while others just stare.  I have yet to see anyone else at Curves who's as intense as her.  And I think it's pretty cool that she never cares how ugly she looks or how much stares she gets while she exercises sweat-drenched.  Not that she's *that* ugly...  It's actually rather heart-lifting to see a middle-aged woman shaking away her hip fiercely.

Mom: We're not gonna have dollars anymore.
Me: Dollars?  What dollars?
Mom: Curves.
Me: ...Oh, that's disappointing.  So you're not gonna get anymore Tshirts?  Sounds like they're being stingier.
Mom: But the owner made another gym right in front of your alma mater.
Me: Really?
Mom: Yeah, she's gonna be even richer by making more of us pigs run around.
Me: ...I might go there once I become a doctor and save enough money to get another degree.
Mom: You're going to study AGAIN?  I thought you were going to work.
Me: I said AFTER I work and save enough money.  I'm planning to get a master's online while working and then go back to get a PhD -- if I really feel like it.  But I might have a wedding and some babies in between.  So I'm gonna be like what, forty?  Or maybe fifty.
Mom: その時はもうなくなってるかもね (= I might be dead by then / It might be closed by then)
Me: You're gonna be in your seventies.  Oh wait, did you mean --
Mom: Yeah, I was talking about Curves.
Me: You're right, it might be closed!
Mom: And I might be dead from overwork.  But you can still go to Curves and remember me -- how devoted and diligent and serious I was with that circuit training.

And with life, I suppose.  I really respect how she does her best every single day.

3 件のコメント:

  1. Reading this, I wish I knew what it was like to grow up in a hito no me (?) society. Sure, I live in one now, but it's different than being born in one and raised in one.

    What are you planning to get a master's in?

    I would like to start exercise, but I'm lacking in energy from a previous health problem and feeling lazy. Maybe when I start going to school.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. It must be pretty tiring to be brought up in a always-worrying-about-hito-no-me society. But maybe you get used to it without knowing if you're born there.

      Personally, I think I spent my teen years worrying about hito-no-me, but that was only after my basic personality had been built in a who-cares-what-others-think society, so I might be a bit different from a typical Japanese person, or that's what some people tell me...

      For my master's, I'm thinking of going back to what I was studying (before medicine) but I'm not sure yet.

      I've been lazy too! I hope your health problem wasn't serious...

      削除
  2. Nah, it wasn't too serious! :) I feel much better now.

    返信削除