2013年5月19日日曜日

weeds

Another brief conversation with my mother (and father):

(I've been studying all day for my microbe test while my father apparently has been doing some weeding.  My mother calls.)

Mom: Your father has been lecturing me about weeding.  あなたの父親、草に関する講釈がすごいんだけど
Me: Well too bad, he has nothing to talk about but weeds. しょうがないよ、草以外話すことないんでしょ
Mom: Remember the bunch of reddish-brown clovers?  He says you have to dig it from the root.  Otherwise, they sprout again. 赤っぽいクローバー覚えてるでしょ?根っこから取らないとまたすぐ生えてくるって
Me: Yeah... So have you ever heard of echinococcosis? ねえ、エキノコッカス症って知ってる?
Mom: ...Maybe you should talk to your father. ・・・ちょっとお父さんにかわるわ
Dad: Of course I've heard of it.  It's popular in Hokkaido! 知ってるよ。北海道に多いやつでしょ

One good thing about being in a similar field as your father is that you can enjoy some very intriguing conversations with him about helminths.

One bad thing about having a vet husband and a would-be doctor daughter is that you have to listen about weeds and helminths when you care about neither.

Not that being a vet and loving weed-talks exactly go hand in hand.



And just for the honor of my father, he *does* have more than weeds to talk about.  Much much more.  I don't think he even likes talking about weeds...

2 件のコメント:

  1. Can I borrow your parents for a day? I think that would be really interesting.

    返信削除