2013年5月5日日曜日

fishing

Woke up at 3:30AM and went fishing.  Still feel like floating on the raft.

It's amazing how beautiful a fish can look.  Those you see at supermarkets, they're dead: their eyes are dead, their bodies don't shine.  But when you look at them when they've just come out of the water, they look beautiful.  The way their bodies reflect the sunshine, the vivid color of their fins, the unique patterns, the bulging eyes, the way they jump and try to live until the last moment.  It sort of reminds you of the fact that humans are the only creatures that commit suicide.  In the natural world, you're obliged to live.  It's a strict rule and therefore beautiful.


(I only caught three or four baby horse mackerels.  This is just a random picture; isn't he cute?)

On a side note, relating to what we've been studying at school, I saw a parasite crawling out of a fish's mouth.  It was pretty big, considering the size of the fish. 

6 件のコメント:

  1. That fish looks like it wants to give me a kiss!

    Ehhhh... what would you do if you didn't get into medical school?

    I hadn't though of what I would do if I didn't make it into my postgraduate programme.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. If I hadn't gotten into med school? I was planning to apply for a job at the metropolitan government, but I don't know, I didn't really have a solid plan B...

      I thought you already had a job. Can't you keep it until you get admitted to your postgraduate program?

      削除
  2. I do have a job. I work 'casually' at my company. I'm employed directly by the company without a contract. So I get no paid days off and I'm never sure exactly when my last day will be but they said they'd like to keep me until the end of July. I'm not particularly attached to the job and when a better opportunity arises I will be more than happy to turn in my two weeks!

    I've also already been accepted into the graduate programme but it doesn't start until October. :)

    返信削除
    返信
    1. I see. It's always good for your mental health to know what you will be doing in your near future. What are you going to study?

      I hope you find a job you can be attached to by the time you finish your postgraduate program, though I'm not sure if it's actually good to feel "attached" to your job...

      Either way, I'm looking forward to reading your blog! Let me know when you start.

      削除
  3. It just so happens that I'm doing a MA in TESOL.

    Attached is a funny word. I just want to have a job where I have a little bit more idea of what's going on. Working as an OL feels like it has a very limited shelf life. In addition, I get job offers for jobs making £14,000 a year. If I made only £14,000 a year, I'd never see my parents or go on any vacations ever again. ಠ_ಠ

    返信削除
    返信
    1. So you're going to be a teacher? That's really cool!

      But in most cases, it's very difficult to find an enjoyable job that would feed you, let you go on vacations, and still leave you something to save...

      削除