2013年5月15日水曜日

women's notebook

The government is planning to distribute this thing called 'women's notebook' in Japan.  It's a notebook that is supposed to remind Japanese women some obvious facts about our body -- that it should be checked regularly and that it's most suited to give birth before we reach our mid thirties.  The government thinks it's the best way to encourage women to have babies and save Japan from its declining birth rate.

But since women are not baby-producing machines who are willing to live for the sake of a nation's policy, and since they're not the only ones 'responsible', many women seem to have an unpleasant impression of this government's new great idea.

Some women want to get married.  Some women want kids.  And they still have difficulty getting what they want.  It's not because they are ignorant of the fact that babies are 'best before 35'.  This notebook is going to make it even more difficult for women who are over thirty and are still unmarried with no kids.  I'm soon going to be one of them.  So,

Dear Mr. Prime Minister,
I hope you're not trying to tell us that we're lazy useless citizens who are neglecting social responsibility and that it's embarrassing and wrong to be an unmarried woman without kids.


This post was actually inspired by a Sci-Fi Horror "How to be a woman".  It's set in 2050, Japan, where all women are obliged to carry a women's notebook: under the amended constitution, there is a new law that provides that single women above thirty be sent to concentration camps where they are forced to either marry a man the government chooses, or be executed, but a politician suggests it might be better to use them as prostitutes.  Abe Jr. (with a small Hitler-like mustache) is criticized from Amnesty, HRW, and countries from all over the world but Japanese men adore him, and Japan starts firing missiles when America intervenes.  I actually found it pretty realistic.

4 件のコメント:

  1. Where's the 'men's notebook'? Don't they have to have one of those too?

    What if you don't want to get married? What if you don't want to have children?

    I don't need such a notebook. :P He can keep it.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Right, some people don't even want a kid. People always find a way without any kind of notebook when they want a baby. I mean, how many decades has it been since the first baby was born in vitro? Notebooks only make insensitive politicians happy.

      削除
  2. Dear Broccoli chan, thank you again:) To tell the truth, I fell in love with your blog articles. I was impressed with your hard work and intelligence, but above all, with your kind heart to care about the sick and their family who are facing death. Best wishes on your studies and I really appreciate that I became friends with you on the Internet. Take care!

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Thank you so much Yuki! You're making me blush! I'm no saint; I just like to write about things I think about, but I'm glad you seem to have enjoyed reading this blog :)

      I actually read some of your older posts too and was really impressed by *your* kindness. It made me feel warm and happy. And you have a great sense of humor.

      I'm really glad to have met you too! I guess we have to thank women's notebook after all.

      削除