2013年5月17日金曜日

protected

Apparently, Japan is still an 'island'.  Considering the small immigrant population, I guess it's still true that the Japanese are much less aware of international affairs in general, compared to people in other countries.  It's of course obvious that Japan can't live on its own but it seems to me that the situation is sometimes a bit unclear to some people.  That is, knowing the fact that your jeans were dyed in Bangladesh might be a bit different from having a Bangladeshi neighbor.
 
On the other hand, I believe the Japanese are pretty open to foreign cultures -- everything from the west poured into the east after all, and the Japanese took in whatever they could.   But they always transferred it into something "Japanese", and we still do: when things land in Japan, people recook it and sometimes make it into something very different and unique, which is pretty cool, but that might also be a sign of some kind of intolerance towards foreign culture. We have to recook things so people can accept them without showing allergies.

Anyway, I get the impression that we're all 'protected' in Japan in a lukewarm nest.  We lack stimulation.  I think that's why people like me love to watch TV programs that feature 'the only Japanese' living in a strange village in a strange country.

Today, when I told my mother what I was about to watch, she said she hated the program.  "They just ran away because things didn't work out in Japan.  Now they're so proud to be living in a strange village.  They act as if they've accomplished something when they're just living their life -- just like we all are."

She has a point.  But it's fun to observe danger from your safe nest.

2 件のコメント:

  1. That IS a rather interesting and fascinating look at it. People living in another country aren't necessarily running away though, I don't think. I moved to England but I didn't run away from the US, I just happen to live in England now.

    But she's right, it isn't really an accomplishment I guess.

    返信削除
  2. I'm sure you didn't run away! I think it's just that my mom doesn't like it when people make it a big deal when they're just 'different' in the most obvious ways. She's my mother -- she can have a pretty wry view.

    返信削除