2013年6月9日日曜日

within three meters

When I feel like doing nothing, I always think the only way to find a way through the tunnel is to keep moving, even if I'm slower than a turtle.  The best way to become a turtle is to look at the small picture.  The big picture is important of course, but the small picture can be as helpful too -- just like what Haruki Murakami says in his book "What I talk about when I talk about running".  He's in the middle of a 100km marathon and this is what he thinks:

I tried to make my world as small and limitted as possible.  What I see is only three meters ahead.  I don't know what exists beyond.  My current world is within that three meters.  There is no need to think beyond what is there.  The sky, the wind, the grass, the cows that eat the grass, the spectators, the cheers, the lake, the stories, the truth, the past, the memories, all are irrelevant to me.  To move my feet to the spot that is three meters away -- that is my small raison d'etre as a human, or rather, as a machine.

2 件のコメント:

  1. I aught to re-read that book again, it's been some time since I read that. :)

    I think that's really good advice!

    返信削除
    返信
    1. I just finished it! It was a pretty good book. I actually like Murakami.

      削除