2013年6月5日水曜日

soccer

Now that we're done with pathology, we're on to pharmacology, but suddenly, our timetable only consists of two classes in the morning (at least this week).  Which means we're required to study on our own in the afternoon.  And that was exactly what I was planning to do yesterday when these guys suddenly decided they were coming over to my place to watch a soccer game.  It really made no sense at all, because 1. I don't watch soccer, 2. I never said I wanted to watch a game with them, 3. I wasn't planning to watch yesterday's game.  That was how much I was NOT interested in yesterday's Japan vs. Australia.  Halfway through the game, I asked if anyone thought it was a waste of time.

But now that the game is over, I'm glad they came to indirectly force me to watch it, because it ended up to be one of the best soccer games I've ever seen.  We all thought it was going to end 0-0 but Australia scored when there was less than ten minutes left for Japan to score back, and guess what happened -- Japan got a PK.  We all cried with joy when this 'monkey' -- Honda -- scored.

And we found out later on the news that some people were more violent when they celebrated -- some climbed on taxis while some dived into rivers.  It was absurd, but as I saw all these people in excitement, I thought it was a pretty amazing phenomenon.  So many people were happy about the same thing at the same time.  I don't think the Japanese are patriotic at all, and I don't necessarily value patriotism anyway, but I thought it was nice to see the people become as one.

本田香川豪州戦2013コンビネーション.jpg

2 件のコメント:

  1. The thought of opening the door at home and having three guys just show up and say 'We're going to watch the game here' is really amusing to me. It sounds like something from a sitcom.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. It wasn't that amusing actually. I had to go deliver my pee to the school health center (part of a physical checkup) and since it's a bit far, I asked a friend if he could drive me there. I probably should not have asked if I didn't want them over. But it was fun after all!

      削除