2013年6月5日水曜日

appreciating unhappiness?

I've never read Faust but I happened to read a passage written by someone who has read it.  (Which reminds me that you don't necessarily have to read Hemingway to get a Hemingway-ish insight -- because he's everywhere.  It sounds lazy and arrogant, but it's probably sort of like having soup with some beef extract instead of beef itself.  ...Which are, after all, two very different things.  And the chewing is what counts if I want to grow my brain muscle.  But I guess it's still an efficient way of getting nutrients as long as my soup isn't water?)

Anyway, according to her, Faust is great in that he puts in a lot of effort to learn and get what he wants, but lacks a sense of appreciation.  She was against his arrogant idea that anything could be achieved through effort.  "I think Faust should appreciate who he is and what he has before desiring to improve himself and his life."  (You can read the original post here)

She's absolutely right.  But I think it's very difficult to be happy with what you have (or who you are) AND desire to improve yourself at the same time.  At least I've found it very difficult.  It's this sense of unsatisfaction or frustration that motivates me.  A lot of energy is required to progress, and I kind of believe that the most negative feelings can be the most powerful drive.  I've read somewhere that in many cases, it's the fear of failure rather than the image of success that makes humans work.

Personally, I don't think I'll ever write if I were completely full of happiness.  I enjoy writing by nature, but it's also similar to masturbation, if that doesn't sound too weird.  There are some needs inside of me that need to be met, and I write to fill in that little hole.  Though it might sound kind of sad and maybe narsicistic when I write it down like this.

There's a story of a fisherman in a tiny island who would wander around from bar to bar talking about how he had this hole in his heart. He said he couldn't sleep -- he would just lie there in bed because of this hole. The community got together and found the guy a log. The guy had never carved a thing before in his life and it took him five years but he carved a totem pole.  He needed to make it just so he could sleep.

Going back to Faust and his idea that anything can be achieved through effort, I know you can't achieve everything, but throughout my life so far, I've *almost* always had something on my mind that I really wanted, and that has been my locomotive.  The existence of an unaccomplished goal does inevitably make me unsatisfied to some extent (almost by definition), and by the time (or shortly after) I get what I want, I have a new goal in mind that sends me back to where I was, but that, in a sense, is what makes me who I am.

I've started to realize I have to learn to be happy not when I actually reach my goal but also when I'm still on my way, because it's an infinite cycle.  To me, however, that sort of means accepting the fact that I am, in fact, unhappy -- that I don't have to be completely happy.  And I hope that I can learn to appreciate things I'm not exactly happy with.  But am I contradicting myself again?

4 件のコメント:

  1. I think I was probably under the impression that most Japanese people thought that (most) things could be achieved with effort -- the whole 'Gambatte!' thing. I was told that the things that they do for other people tended to be really good because they always tried their hardest.

    Going into things, I generally have a 90% confidence level on whether it will or will not work. I tend to like to go into things when I'm confident and avoid things that I am not confident on.

    Going with what your friend said, my first instinct was to disagree. What's wrong with constantly striving to improve yourself? However, I can kind of see what she means. There's this sort of prevailing sense of dissatisfaction if you continue to strive without thinking about your present situation. You think to yourself 'I haven't done anything and that's why I need to do THIS' instead of thinking 'I've done this and I'm really happy.'


    Personally, I don't think I'll ever write if I were completely full of happiness.


    I disagree, but maybe I've been reading too many books on Buddhism lately. :)

    返信削除
    返信
    1. I think the gambatte culture puts emphasis on the gambaru part. The result doesn't really matter, or you're not supposed to expect anything in return.

      As you say, I think my friend has a point. Maybe you *can* learn to be happy while having a prevailing sense of dissatisfaction. I mean, there's not reason you can't think "I haven't done this so I need to do it, but I've done that and I'm really happy."

      Hm... you disagree with how I might feel Sonna? Okay, then let's see if I'll ever post something with hearts and roses flying everywhere saying I'm so totally happy!

      削除
  2. LOL Broccoli you crack me up.

    There's a difference in English between two words. One is pleasure, the other is happiness. Day to day, what most of us feel is pleasure. We have a new car. We move to a better house. We eat a really good meal. We get a new date with the person of our dreams. That's pleasure, because all the feelings from that stuff is temporary. (Although different states of temporary.)

    Happiness is something entirely different. It's something long lasting and satisfying that happens regardless to external circumstances. We can be happy even if we don't have a new car, move to a better house, eat a really good meal, or get a new date. There's no underlying dissatisfaction when we're really happy, I think. We can also be really happy with a decision that we've made. For example, if your parents say 'You shouldn't be a doctor, you should be a housewife.' And you think 'I don't want to be a housewife, I'll be a doctor' and become a doctor instead. Throughout your life being a doctor, you feel really happy that you chose this path.

    I hope that makes sense. Wow, that was e-mail length!

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Hm... my dictionary says "happy: having the feelings of pleasure often because something good has happened to you". But, I actually think the definitions don't really matter in the end. If someone thinks they're "happy" they are, be it because of a new car or a decision they made long ago.

      But I think I do get what you're saying -- that happiness is something stable and not like instant pleasure that comes and goes.

      I don't know what it means to be "really happy" -- it's just an imaginary state in my mind -- it might not be that good in reality (though I guess happiness can't be bad by definition).

      But to make this abstract picture more concrete, I actually think I'm pretty happy at the moment. I worry about small things and it's not like I wake up every morning feeling chirpy, I do have a sense of dissatisfaction, but I think I *can* say that I'm happy -- at least according to my definition of happiness.

      I hope that made sense...

      削除