2013年4月30日火曜日

language

I never watch movies that are dubbed.  I also don't like it when Japanese characters speak in English to each other like in Hollywood films (which I think often fail to distinguish between Japan and China).

I mean, obviously, it's impossible to express the fragility, gracefulness, politeness etc. of the Japanese language in English.  A Japanese cannot be quite Japanese without speaking in Japanese.

I think when you speak fluently in a foreign language, you lose something of your own culture that is embedded in your mother tongue.  When the foreign language takes over your thoughts, it kills all the cultural and non-cultural concepts that are reliant to your native language.  At least, that's the only way I can explain how my personality slightly changes when I express myself in English.

Zwick, when talking about DiCaprio's accent in Blood Diamond, said dialect had an effect over a creation of a character. It apparently allows an actor to be as different from himself as he could be based on the fact that he sounds utterly different. It's a freedom someone often gets from speaking in a foreign language. There's a French expression that says"to possess another language is to possess another soul (複数の言語を所有するものは複数の魂を所有する)".  Zwick thought that happened to actors acting in dialect.

So if you can't possess two souls at the same time, you lose a soul while your other soul takes over.  That's what I used to think.  But Woody Allen makes one of his characters in Vicky Christina Barcelona explain that his father refuses to speak any other language than Spanish.  He's a poet and he writes the most beautiful sentences in the Spanish language but doesn't believe that a poet should pollute his words by any other tongue.  I never thought my Japanese soul and English soul polluted each other, but maybe they do.  My English character probably does show sometimes when I'm speaking in Japanese and vice versa.

As a related topic, works by Haruki Murakami sound great to me when translated, not because it still sounds Japanese but because the western flavor of English goes well with his works.  Murakami's quirky humor is not quite Japanese in the first place, and his characters' speeches sometimes even sound like they're translated from English when I read the original piece in Japanese.  They're simple, witty, and sarcastic - the impression I get from the English language.

It intrigues me how languages can effect or even define a character.  In the end, we're made of our thoughts and our thoughts are made of our language.

4 件のコメント:

  1. I read once that Murakami writes his books in English and then translates them into Japanese!

    At first I wasn't sure what you meant by Sayuri, but then I remembered that's what Memoirs of a Geisha is called in Japan. I did like the book, but Japan it is not I guess. It's like watching anime or reading manga about 'Western' characters -- they're never quite right.

    I kind of see what you mean by a language losing something. We always start out by over or under compensating when we first learn a language -- we try to get the EXACT words right, but it doesn't always sound natural.

    Broccoli, for what it's worth, I think you sound very lovely and natural in English. :)

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Aw, thank you Sonnaaaaa~. You also sound very lovely and natural in English :) Or in other words, I always enjoy reading your comments.

      Someone said in their blog that he felt this indefinable freedom when he wrote in English -- as if he were liberated from the Japanese culture that he grew up in for such a long time. I think it's the same for me too.

      About Murakami, I've also read somewhere that he sometimes writes his stuff in English. It's pretty amazing he can translate them into Japanese. I don't think I can (or even want to) translate what I've written in English.

      I mean, I actually think making a translation sound natural and preserving the atmosphere of the original writing may be two different things. Professional translators make their translations sound natural but something is still lost -- unless the translator himself and maybe also the readers have full understanding of both cultures.

      削除
  2. You are right, making something sound natural and preserving the atmosphere are two different things. There's a manga called 'Sakamoto desu ga?' which (I think) may be translated as:

    1. Sakamoto, I presume? (more accurate, looks good, but sounds a little unusual out of context)

    2. Are you Sakamoto? (still sort of accurate, but there's a difference between 'wa' and 'ga' that doesn't quite exist in English and this translation ignores that entirely)

    A lot of officially translated (by companies) manga and dvds struggle with suffixes like '-chan' '-bo' '-kun' and so on because they don't exist in English. Unofficial translations (fansubs) leave them in, but tend to substitute 'you' when in actually in Japanese they may be saying 'Broccoli-san.'

    返信削除
    返信
    1. I don't know the manga but I think 'Sakamoto desu ga' means 'Hello, this is Sakamoto' - like when you pick up the phone or something. ('ga' in this case means 'but', so the literal translation would be 'I'm Sakamoto but...')

      But I get what you mean. The difference between 'wa' and 'ga' is a pretty good example of sutble nuance that is difficult to translate.

      削除