2014年5月25日日曜日

falling in love at 85

Today, I was sorting out my mailbox and some old messages I sent to my crush (during fights) came up.  I was terrified.  Some messages were awful and just really terrifying that I actually started laughing.  (I'm glad he's still my good friend.)  Later that evening, I heard a rather heartbreaking (but at the same time funny) story from my mother:

My grandmother takes 気功 lessons (it's a kind of Chinese exercise) and she fell in love with the instructor.  The problem was, he didn't like her back.  Well, at least not in that kind of way.  And to make things worse, it got a bit complicated because my grandma ended up confessing due to jealousy.  Two weeks ago, she and the instructor and this other woman (we'll call her Satoko) had lunch together, and the instructor ate Satoko's pickles.  My grandma told the instructor not to (it made her jealous for some reason), and he asked her why.  Later that day, he called my grandma to tell her he thought she was being a bit mean to Satoko.  And that really hurt my grandma.  (She also didn't like the fact that the instructor seemed to pay extra attention to Satoko which is probably because she has some mild aftereffects of a stroke.)  So she decided to write this looong letter saying how much of a great person she was -- she had never ever been mean to anyone -- and she wrote down all her life time accomplishments, how she had raised three great daughters, how great their husbands were and so on, ending the letter with a list of people she had recruited to the 気功 club and insisting how much she had contributed to the growth of it.  She also asked the instructor to "treat all students fairly", confessed her feelings for him (that was the main part actually), and faxed it.

The instructor wrote her back, but he didn't really know how to use the fax machine, and this is where things went out of control.  His letter didn't reach my grandma, and so she got really upset and mad and sent more letters and started saying bad things about him behind his back.  She was awfully depressed and couldn't do anything by herself.  She was thrown into multiple panic attacks -- she would suddenly forget how to stop the fire while she was making tea -- and was getting extremely forgetful in general.  So my mom ended up calling the instructor to talk to him and asked him to send the fax again.  His response was a bit cold anyway ("I like your bright smile, BUT I am only your instructor; every student is equally important to me"), and my grandma is now so embarrassed that the whole family knows the story (though I don't think she expects it to have reached all the way down to me!) and she just wants a hole to hide in.

When I heard all this from my mother, the first thought that came to my mind was -- wow, maybe I inherited that terrifying-letter-writing gene.  But the next thought was, I wonder if I would still fall in love when I'm 85.  I have a hard time falling in love even now.  I mean, I guess I was kind of obsessive with my crush, but he was really an exception; I'm actually almost sure that I will never be that way with anyone else.

2 件のコメント:

  1. WOW your poor grandmother! That's embarrassing and... awww, poor grandmother.

    I'm no good at writing letters either, I find that I can't get my feelings quite right. It's like that line from Norweigian wood that Naoko said about playing tag with yourself.

    返信削除
    返信
    1. That line from NW -- I didn't remember it until you said it but that in my case is when I'm writing my blog!

      Hopefully, my grandma is feeling better now. I heard that when people get forgetful, the good part is that they easily forget their embarrassment too. Though I don't know if that's supposed to be sad actually...

      削除