2014年3月23日日曜日

of human bondage

It might be that to surrender to happiness was to accept defeat, but it was a defeat better than many victories.

A quick note since I just finished the book:  Life has no meaning; it's just like a pattern of a Persian rug woven for no end but the pleasure of the weaver's aesthetic sense.  Anticipation of an ideal pattern, untamed passion beyond reason, sense of shame, severe poverty all become bondages -- obstacles that prevent you from weaving your own "perfect rug".

The protagonist's morbid obsession towards his unrequited love seems to emphasize the human nature of having to live under lack of satisfaction.  Current unhappiness is always unconsciously ignored because the future by definition is bright -- there is a perfect pattern somewhere, waiting to be woven.  The empty cup is always waiting to be filled.  Anticipation builds.  Except that that future never comes.

It's always now or never.  What you should do to weave and complete your ideal pattern (which in fact may be designed by thoughts instilled in you by other people) is not important.  What matters is what your own heart desires now.  Now is the only time you can liberate yourself from all bondage and be free.  And if you can find happiness there and then, if you can allow yourself to do that, the rug you're weaving is better than any other rug you pictured with your lofty ideals.

I think it was one of the best books I've ever read.  I had so many parts I could relate to that it was almost like reading my own thoughts and following the path I've been walking for the past decade.  I'm glad I read it now and not sooner or later in my life.
 
On a side note, I realize the title was taken from Spinoza's Ethics but I'm wondering why the Japanese title means human bond instead of human bondage.  I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me some insight.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿