2014年3月29日土曜日

mistakes done

"What do you really want?"

After two days of sewing blood vessels together under the microscope, I didn't feel like doing anything today so I watched a movie: The Words.  My father had told me I would like it, and he was right.

The story is like looking at someone in the mirror looking at someone in the mirror looking at someone in the mirror; it's about a writer (Clay) delivering a story about a writer (Rory) who stole a story from another writer (the old man).

When he is still young, the old man loses his daughter to illness, and the relationship between him and his wife starts to fall apart.  He endures the lifetime pain by writing about it.  He gives the writing to his wife to read but she ends up losing it.  The old man loved the words he had written so much he had to end the relationship with his wife, the very person who had inspired him to write in the first place.  He sees her once again years later with another man and their child and that's the end of his story until many more years later when he finds his words published under the name of another young man.

Rory, when he finds the story in an antique briefcase he had bought in Paris, is suddenly terrified that he will never become what he wants to be.  The story hits him with such great power that he is forced to accept his limitations.  After he meets the old man (the old man had followed him to tell him "the truth"), he wants to take his name off the book and "put everything right", but is told to live with the choice he has made.  He stole a part of the old man's life; now he has to live with the pain, even if that destroys his most precious things.  "We all make our choices.  The hard part is living with them."

The ending suggests that Clay is Rory, but we never know.  The movie ends almost abruptly with a female student (who Clay has invited over to his place) asking Clay what he really wants (when he tells her to leave soon after they start making out).  I don't think it was only me who felt like being thrown into a deep well.

The theme is sort of the same as Crime and Punishment, but I could relate so much more to this story.  Mistakes sometimes sting so badly.  But you can't always make the right decision.  Life comes with life changing mistakes you can't undo.  Maybe the only thing that can make us feel better is that we're not alone.  We all live with a bit of dark shadow in our hearts.

2 件のコメント:

  1. To Broccoli san

    I want to say something to you.
    Please excuse me for my honesty.
    I wish to express my appreciation towards you.
    I am 16 years old girl student going on 17 this year.
    I had commented in this blog before, probably once. But I have read in the past many articles of yours.

    I had been trying to adapt to a certain way of writing which is not very much of my style.
    I wanted to be like my friend who seems to get a lot of admiration from people(teachers and friends) and award due to his very wide range of knowledge of vocabulary in English (and that is evident in his essays). But this attempt seemed to turn to be a failure.
    As I read certain books which are popular among many people in my country, I realized the authors of those books only used simple words, yet the content had captured the hearts of many people.

    I liken my style of writing and the words I chose to those authors'.
    I originally couldn't see much appreciation in my style of writing but when I had realized the impact of the book which contains words like mine, I started to greatly value mine and like it more than my friend's. I decided to let my original way in writing be prevalent.

    Sometimes, whenever I try to compare my writing to others, I could just remember the style of those authors and you.
    It seems to help me maintain my self-esteem.

    I really like your style in writing, the words you chose.
    I probably like it because I could see a part of mine in it.
    And I probably like you because I could see a part of me in you.

    Broccoli san, the messages which your articles seem to give are not easily forgotten by me. I sometimes think some of those at school, in the car, in my room and it seems to be suitable for my present theme in my life.


    I really like it. It's been a part of me already. Thank you so much for posting.

    I'll come back again next time! :-)

    - your fan (can I be called as your fan? hehe)

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Yangyang, thank you so much for your message. I'm very flattered. I get what you mean about simple words that touch your heart. I never thought my writings here would mean so much to anyone, but I'm glad you like them. I'm moved and encouraged to know that posting my thoughts here is not just peeling a part of myself off and pinning it on an internet corkboard just to feed my appetite. Thanks again :)

      削除